Welcome to the Art History guide!
Conducting art history research can take many paths. A few hints before you begin:
- What is your instructor asking you to do -- analysis of art work(s), artist, movement, combination?
- What kinds of sources are required and what is off limits? Do you need images?
- Develop multiple strategies around:
LIBRARY VS GOOGLE
You want to use library resources for art history papers because:
- People who are writing about art history tend to publish in books, encyclopedias, scholarly journals -- most which aren't available for free on the web.
- Articles in scholarly journals have been edited and vetted by peers in the field.
- Articles in encyclopedias can provide good basic information, the most accepted thought on a subject, and lists of bibliographies.
- Images from the web may have been altered or be of poor quality or unknown origin.
- Using library resources is fun and easy -- try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!